Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Blog #33: Review of the Live-Action Lion King

There is a reason that a saying exists that says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The reason, it turns out, is that if you try to fix something that ain't broke, chances are you're going to break it.

Case in point, the live-action remake of  The Lion King.

It's not often that Disney calls it in, but dammit, why did they have to do it to The Lion King?!?! I grew up on that movie! I saw it in the theater with my Grandparents! It was one of the few shining spots in my childhood!

Now, before you try to say that I'm doing to this remake what so many did to the Ghostbusters remake (which I have not yet seen), I will tell you that my stance is not based on this not being as good as the original.

At least, not solely.

Since I am perfectly able to compartmentalize, I am first going to rip into this movie as it stands, and then in comparison to the original. And yes, Cats & Kittens, I am  going to eviscerate this movie -- rain ponchos and face shields are recommended for those in the first three rows.

The fact is, separated from the original, this movie does not stand up to scrutiny. Scar was not sinister in any way, shape, or form; in fact, I felt sorry for him -- the poor guy looked like an underfed housecat with mange. Seriously, people: how is it that Simba as a cub looked like he was one good roar away from punking his Uncle Scar down?

The hyenas were supposed to be this fearsome, terrible plague of the Pridelands. But they gave me the impression that if I pulled out my laser pointer I could keep the whole pack busy for hours!

I do, however, want to applaud
Shenzi, the leader of said imbecilic hyena pack, for being ten times as sinister as Scar. Let's hear it for sidekicks that upstage their so-called superiors a la' Starscream! (DISCLAIMER: cartoon Starscream, not the movie Starscream)

If I had watched this movie without ever having seen the original, I would not have sat through it, and I spend most of my day in a cell! Disney might have paid out the ass to recruit an all-star cast, but the dialogue that they added in was unnecessary crap, the villains were about as sinister as a bowl of milk, and the songs were not the caliber we have come to expect from Disney.

And now that you think you're desensitized to the violence of my vitriol, let's compare this shitstorm to the original! Buzzsaws at the ready!

Admittedly, the first parts of the movie were more or less shot for shot the original. I could even stomach their rendition of _"I Just Can't Wait to be King,"_ because all the bright colours flashing across the screen kept me distracted. But starting with the introduction of the hyenas, the movie started to crumble. Once Simba fled the Pridelands, I would have rather been downwind of Pumba.

Starting with the hyenas, what the frak happened to Ed?! I Loved that idiot! Now, not only did they give him lines (which he didn't need -- he spoke volumes just by laughing!), but his schtick is a lack of respect for personal space? That's barely cringe worthy, and for all the wrong reasons.

When the original Lion King came out, Scar immediately became the rock star of villains. His song, "Be Prepared" was *THE* villain anthem of its time! But this live-action version? C'mon, Disney, you could have at  least gotten someone who could actually sing!

Jeremy Irons, man, I'm so sorry they did this to your character.

Rafiki. Ye Gods, Disney, what did you  do to him? You tried to redeem him in the end when he brought out his staff to the big fight, but let's not kid ourselves: slapping a staff on the ground is not gonna top Monkey-style Kung Fu! It was Rafiki's borderline "Old Man of The Mountain" madness that made him so iconic and endearing. Watering him down like this just makes me want to cry.

Several of the changes Disney made only served to rob the would-be hero of his glory. Instead of Simba crossing the desert by himself, running toward his destiny and coming into his own (a necessary part of "The Hero's Journey"), he is accompanied by Nala. It robbed him of gravitas. Don't believe me? Go back and watch the original and tell me which scene gets your heart beating more. And, instead of Simba forcing Scar to admit to his treachery and malfeasance before the entire pride, it's Simba's mother who catches Scar in his lies and exposes him, which completely robbed Simba of his moment to both vindicate himself and prove his dominance and right to rule.

I get that Disney figured that since they were already paying Beyonce to "act" (and I use that term very loosely), they'd also get her to sing, but none of  The Lion King's songs, ESPECIALLY* Elton John's Can You Feel The Love Tonight needed the "Beyonce Treatment."

Beyonce may "run the world" but her atrocious acting did more damage to the Pridelands than all the hyenas put together.

All that said, I admit: there were a few high points in this movie. Not many, but they kept me from putting my size 11-1/2 foot through the television. Getting an extended version of The Lion Sleeps Tonight from Timon, Pumba, and friends was nice; and the no-warning blitz from Nala was hilarious! And though I would have preferred Timon's iconic grass skirt hula dance to entice the hyenas, the nod to Beauty & The Beast was a nice touch.

And let's not ignore the fact that they did give Zazu an upgrade in testicular fortitude: that little hornbill took it to the hyenas! I cheered for him!

James Earl Jones, you are a God, now and always. I'm glad they didn't make the mistake of trying to replace you in this trainwreck. I hate that they minimalized your heart-to-heart with Simba at the pool, and I wish they'd at least have gotten that right. But even a little of you is better than them trying to fill your shoes with some half-ass wannabe.
 

Give this pitiful remake of a legendary film one star, and only that much because Nala's surprise attack on Pumba made me laugh. I strongly suggest avoiding this movie and sticking with the animated version. You'll be happier.

The preceding has been a movie review by CineMadness -- a brand-spanking new branch of Cheshire Industries composed of both Yours Madly, and a crackerjack team of Minion cinema buffs led by Minion # 33-⅓, codenamed "Buddhameister-Meisterbuddha." Minion #33-⅓ has asked that I report that he has disavowed any connection to my "reckless" comments regarding Beyonce, her terrible acting, and the atrocity that was her musical "contribution" to an already terrible movie. He reportedly fears the retributive sting of some entity that he refers to only as "The Bee Swarm." While he may be a pansy, his cinematic knowhow makes him worth keeping around and I will therefore honor his request. I, however, stand by all that I have said, and I have an endless supply of Raid. Bring it.

{MINION 33-⅓'s NOTE: I am *not* a pansy; I am allergic to bee stings and I don't have an Epi-pen.}
 

No comments:

Post a Comment